Happy Friday everyone!! It's T-1 and counting for our tag sale!! So much to do and so little time left to do it all, but at least it looks like the weather will be in our favor. Yippee! Anyway, since I'm keeping things really simple around here this week, I knew that I wanted something uncomplicated and fairly fuss-free, but still special and different to feature for this addition of Famous Fridays; something satisfying and a little decadent to reward us for all our hard work but totally doable in the short time I can wrench myself away from pricing old Monopoly sets and ice skates. And these no-bake Strawberry Cakesicles from Sweet Tooth!: No Bake Desserts to Make and Devour, by Jen Besel, entirely fit the bill! They're like a frozen slice of strawberry cheesecake, complete with graham cracker crust on a stick and they come together in a snap. You'll love 'em!
Sweet Tooth is filled with whimsical easy-to-prepare desserts, like cookie dough truffles, layered jello creations and chocolate mousse in edible cups. The book is actually geared for kids ages 9-13, but I found it totally appealing and just right (hmmn, what does that say about my maturity?) Still, this would be a fun book to get for a kid who likes to cook or to get for yourself and cook with your kids or just act like a kid when you cook, like me!
The hardest part of the entire recipe is waiting for the pops to freeze! The easy part is blending up the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, confectioners' sugar, milk and frozen strawberries (yes, you don't even have to buy fresh here!!) in the blender. Then you simply pour the mixture into your popsicle mold (little paper cups work well too).
Next you mix together a little bit of graham cracker crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle the tops (really the bottoms) of the popsicles, so that when they freeze you have your typical cheesecake crust.
After that you insert the sticks and freeze and then go keep yourself busy for about 6 hours until they're frozen (if you've got nothing to do, how about heading over to our place--we could really use the help!!)
The pops are so smooth, creamy and comforting and really do taste like a slice of frozen strawberry cheesecake on a stick. Yummy and very summery too! The perfect antidote to the heat and hectic summer schedules!
Have a great weekend everyone. Send good vibes (and buyers) to our tag sale and I'll see you on the other side!
Sweet Tooth's No-Bake Strawberry Cakesicles-Famous Fridays
Makes about 10 standard popsicles
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes; Freeze Time: At least 6 hours
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 package), softened
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
1. In a blender, blend on high the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, milk and strawberries until completely smooth. Pour into popsicle molds, leaving about 1 inch at top.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the top of the strawberry mixture in each of the molds. Insert a stick into each popsicle mold and freeze for at least 6 hours or until fully frozen.
3. To release, run the molds under hot water for a few minutes. Serve immediately.
Note: Recipe adapted from Sweet Tooth by Jen Besel.