These are really fabulous--Mexican restaurant, but-in-the-convenience-of-your-own-home fabulous! I just discovered this recipe this past summer and I have made them several times and I know I will make them again and again. The flavors of the marinated chicken, peppers, onions and mushrooms are just mouthwatering and even though I'm writing this post after a full dinner (not these of course) I wish I had one of these fajitas right now!
Fajitas are almost always my go-to when I'm in a Mexican restaurant but I've never found a recipe that recreated restaurant fajitas in an equal and to be honest, better way...until now. This is a recipe that you want to kick yourself for not knowing about sooner! And it comes (with only a few of my own minor alterations) from one of my favorite blogs, @melskitchencafe. Mel has a lot of really great family friendly recipes and she is such an amusing easy-to-read writer. Thanks Mel for this and other great culinary contributions!
While there are a bunch of ingredients for the marinade, it all comes together in only a few minutes and a couple of hours later your chicken is reading for grilling. Meanwhile you slice up the veggies and stir fry them quickly, adding the chicken in the process
When everything's done, you wrap it all up in a warm tortilla and just take a big old bite. Ole!
Fabulous Chicken Fajitas
Prep Time: 10 minutes to make marinade, 2-3 hours for chicken to marinate, another 15 minutes to chop up all the veggies
Cook Time: 20 minutes to grill chicken, another 10-15 minutes to stir fry
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from about 3-4 limes-in a pinch you could use bottled lime juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (If you don't like that smoky taste or smell, don't use this, otherwise you can find it the market near the barbecue sauce-use it sparingly)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (about 3 large cutlets)
- 1 onion, cut into thin strips
- 2 peppers, any color, cut into thin strips
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Either place chicken in a ziploc bag or a large bowl and pour marinade over them. Seal bag or cover bowl and place in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
2. After chicken has marinated, remove chicken and discard marinade. Grill or broil chicken 5-7 minutes per side (we do it more than this because we like it more well done). Remove to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
3. Wrap several flour tortillas in foil and warm in oven.
4. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat and add mushrooms, onion and peppers. Stir fry until softened but still crisp tender. Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Cook for another few minutes, stirring frequently. Slice chicken thinly, on the diagonal and add it to the skillet, mixing well. Remove warmed tortillas and place a few spoonfuls of the chicken/veggie mixture on top of each tortilla. You can also top with guacamole, shredded cheese, tomatoes, sour cream--whatever you like. Wrap up and eat!