First: The recipe--This came to me from my sister Jenny, who got it from her friend Lisa, who is famous for this amazing concoction! It's easy to make, a little bit out of the ordinary and wherever and whenever you serve it, people always go crazy for it and beg you to divulge its secrets. You will definitely want to add this to your repertoire!!
Second: Unwritten Recipes is being featured on Mediterranean Living, a terrific health and wellness website that promotes the Mediterranean diet, which we all know is one of the healthiest ways to eat in the world!! For the next few days they will be posting my recipe for Corn, Scallion and Potato Frittata. Take a look at their site--it's very easy to navigate and there are all sorts of recipes, products and programs to help you achieve optimal health!
Back to the star of today now: jicama! Are you familiar with it? It's such a funny looking, kinda ugly little tuber which is actually part of the bean family. Anyway it's really delicious--crunchy, juicy and sort of savory/sweet--very mild in flavor and high in fiber so it's really good for you too! If you've never had it before, you should definitely give it a try--you'll wish you'd done so sooner! We like to keep cut up strips of it all ready to go in the fridge for snacking. The only slightly tricky part is peeling one. Don't use a standard vegetable peeler--a sharp knife and a cutting board will be much easier.
And adding to the wonderful crunchy earthiness of the jicama for this salsa, are avocados, red onion, lime juice, cilantro or parsley and a jalapeno pepper for a little bit of a kick. Putting this together is so simple and simply delicious!! All you have to do is chop up everything and mix it up--no oven to turn on during these steamy days!
It's wonderful on its own, as a side dish or with some tortilla chips. I promise it'll be a big hit at any of your summer get togethers! Thanks Lisa and Mediterranean Living!! Some day, huh?!
Jicama Avocado Salsa
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 2 ripe avocados, cubed
- 6 ounces jicama, peeped and diced ( I used about half of a large jicama--you don't need to measure here, just do what you like)
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of cilantro or parsley ( I use parsley since none of us are huge cilantro fans)
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (use half if you really want to keep things mild)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. Place the avocado, jicama, onion, cilantro or parsley and jalapeno in a medium sized bowl and toss gently. Add lime juice and olive oil and toss again. Season to taste with salt and toss gently once more. Serve immediately or chill in an airtight container. Salsa will last 3-4 days.
Note: Recipe adapted from a good friend, Lisa. I subbed out the cilantro for parsley because some of us really aren't big fans of cilantro. Otherwise, I stuck pretty true to the recipe, because it's flat out fantastic!