These are what happen when the sensor in your oven goes on the fritz and ruins 2 cakes, 1 pie and a batch of sticky buns before you have the smarts to realize that maybe you haven't forgotten everything you ever knew about baking and there might be something else going on. Fortunately the new part is on order and I'll soon be back in the baking business, but until then these no-bake Peanut Butter M&M's Rice Krispie treats have really hit the spot!!
Who doesn't love Rice Krispie treats?!! They're the perfect combination of crunchiness, chewiness, sweetness and probably the easiest dessert in the world to make--a classic for a reason! But these are Rice Krispie treats on steroids!! Seriously, the addition of the peanut butter and the peanut butter M& M's sends these to a new level! Everyone who's tasted them has gone snap-crackle-pop wild over them! If you need a last-minute dessert to bring to a casual party or BBQ or you're looking for something simple to donate for a bake sale, these are sure to be a success!
You start by melting a generous amount of marshmallows--
And then stir the peanut butter into that lovely gooey mess, so that what you have is a peanut buttery marshmallow goo--
Which you then combine with the Rice Krispies, more marshmallows and the peanut butter M&M's and press into a pan to harden and cool so that you can cut them into thick generous squares that are rich in peanut butter flavor with the deliciousness of slightly melted chocolatey/peanut buttery M&M's, all held together with that wonderful comforting crunch. Maybe an unreliable oven's not so bad after all...
Peanut Butter M&M's Rice Krispie Treats
Makes 20-24 servings
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 3/4 cups mini-marshmallows, divided
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter (not natural)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies or other crisped rice cereal
- 1 cup peanut M&M's
1. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray well with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Stir in 5 cups of the marshmallows (reserving 3/4 cup for later) and stir until all the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Add in the peanut butter and stir until completely incorporated. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
3. Working quickly, stir in the cereal and coat well with the marshmallow/peanut butter mixture. Fold in most of the M&M's and reserved marshmallows, keeping a few aside to press onto the top of the mixture at the end.
4. Spray a spatula lightly with cooking spray and press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Press the reserved marshmallows and M&M's on top. Allow to cool and cut into squares.
5. If not eating right away, wrap well in plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
Note: Recipe adapted from http://www.mybakingaddiction.com/peanut-butter-rice-krispie-treats/