I call this Weeknight Honey Mustard Chicken because this is what you make when you don't get home till 5:00 and still want to have a home-cooked meal on the table by 6:00 that everyone will love, without you losing your mind or temper! It's sweet and tangy and even if you're not a big mustard fan (like me) you will want to lick the sauce off your plate (not that any of us here would do that, of course!)
Even though we only have one kid at home now, she's got a pretty hectic schedule and so we are either racing out at 4:30 to drive an hour to hockey practice or racing home at 5:00 after soccer or some training or appointment, to make dinner. To keep us sane and healthy I try to make a couple of dishes on the weekend or one day a week, so we can just heat things up or toss things into a salad on the busy nights, and sometimes I can't even do that. That's when I appreciate the true beauty of this dish, 'cause as long as there's a package of chicken cutlets in the fridge and some butter, honey, mustard and salt on hand which are pretty standard staples, I can whip this up in under an hour! First you combine, melted butter, honey, mustard and salt in a small bowl.
Next you pour it over chicken breasts in a baking dish.
All that's left to do now is bake and baste, every 15 minutes for the next 45 minutes to an hour, depending on how well done you like your chicken. That's it, folks!
It's so incredibly easy and so amazingly delicious! And while the chicken is cooking you can put together a salad or make some rice or whatever--it's practically a stress-free meal! And you might just like it so much, that you'll even find yourself making it on a leisurely weekend! Don't worry, I won't tell!
Weeknight Honey Mustard Chicken
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Bake Time: 45 minutes-1 hour
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (if they're very thick you may want to cut them in half lengthwise, or just cook them for longer)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1-2 tablespoons mustard (I use Dijon, but any kind would work--use the full 2 tablespoons if you're a true mustard fan)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Place chicken in a baking dish and set aside.
2. Whisk together the butter, honey, mustard and salt in a small bowl and pour over the chicken.
3. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting the chicken every 15-20 minutes. Chicken is done when cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly. Serve immediately.
Note: Recipe adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I cut the amount of butter and salt used.