Hiya! If you're looking for something light, healthy and summery fresh to make for dinner tonight and you don't want to turn on the oven, I can think of nothing better than these amazingly delicious chicken, mango and scallion tacos. Since discovering these a few weeks ago, I've made them three additional times and they were a very successful part of our great big July 4th taco fiesta. Even me, a not so enthusiastic mango eater, loves what grilling does to a mango. Summer is really the greatest, right?!!
Do you have trouble slicing a mango. If so, you've got to try the glass method. My daughter saw this video online a while back and she slices them up like a pro now. She and one of my boys adore mangoes and they have been particularly great as of late. The method is especially good for this recipe as you want the mangoes to be cut in large enough slices that they don't fall between the grill grates.
The combination of the sweet grilled mangoes and the slightly tangy but almost caramelized scallions is surprisingly wonderful and unique. And when you add in the spicy charred chicken and mellow Monterey jack cheese--Heaven!!
And...and here's the biggie--the whole thing requires no advance prep and comes together in way less than an hour, a true blessing on busy nights. Even me, who loves to make different things every night feels like I could literally eat these three times a week and look forward to each and every time! Ok, enough of a sell--try them and let me know what you think!!
Chicken, Mango and Scallion Tacos
Serves 4-5 people
Prep Time: 30-40 minutes (only about 15 are active)
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning the mango and scallions
3/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning the mango and scallions
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-3 bunches scallions
2 ripe but still firm mangoes, pitted and peeled and cut into thick slices
10-12 small flour tortillas, wrapped in foil and warmed in a low oven
1/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1. Preheat the barbecue to medium-high.
2. Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons of the oil, chili powder, salt and pepper together in a large bowl and add the chicken, tossing to coat well. Let sit for 10 minutes at room temperature.
3. On a large baking sheet, arrange the scallions and the mangoes and brush on both sides with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Season lightly with the salt and pepper.
4. On one half of the grill, arrange the chicken and grill, turning once, until chicken has nice grill marks on both sides and is fully cooked through. On the other side of the grill, arrange the scallions and the mangoes and cook for a few minutes, then turn and cook on the other side, until there are nice grill marks on both sides and they've softened. Remove from the grill to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm--the mango and scallions will definitely be done before the chicken.
5. When the chicken is done, remove from the grill and slice thinly. Cut the mangoes and scallions into pieces as well. Fill the warmed tortillas with the chicken, mangoes, scallions and top with the shredded cheese. Serve immediately.
Note: Recipe adapted from Taco Night by Kate McMillan. I toyed around with the spices, measurements and ingredients here quite a bit.