No matter what holiday you celebrate, it's that coconut time of year, right? Not sure why that is, but springtime and coconut desserts just seem made for each other. Now I know tonight is the first night of Passover and you probably know exactly what you're making and bringing but on the off chance that you left things to the last moment or you're thinking ahead to Easter Sunday or you just want that Mounds moment in your life, these No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Bites are a lifesaver. They take only minutes to prepare and will instantly satisfy that chocolate/coconut craving. Sorry for the shortness of the post, the times--they are a-racing around here!! Happy Holidays!!
No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Bites
Makes about 24-28 small squares
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus at least 30 minutes chilling time and more to be safe so they cut neatly
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1. Line an 8x8-inch metal or glass baking pan with wax paper that hangs over the edges at least a couple of inches so that you'll later be able to use it as handles to pull the slab out of the pan.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, use your fingers to mix together both of the coconuts and the milk. When evenly, combined, press the mixture into the prepared pan, trying to make sure it is evenly spread out, especially into the corners. Place in the fridge, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
3. Place the chocolate in a microwavable safe bowl and melt on 30 second intervals, stirring until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. Remove pan from fridge and spread chocolate on top of the coconut layer evenly, using an offset spatula if you have one. Return the pan to the fridge for at least another 20-30 minutes (or even longer) until the chocolate is entirely firm and doesn't leave an indent when you press it gently.
4. Lift the slab out onto a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut it in half down the middle. Sandwich the two halves together, coconut sides in so that the chocolate is on the top and bottom. Cut the rectangle into small bite sized pieces and serve immediately or return to the fridge, covered to chill until ready to serve. These can definitely be made ahead and last up to one week covered in the refrigerator.
Note: Recipe adapted from an old issue of Gourmet Magazine.