This is one of those recipes that makes having a slow cooker so worth it. Admittedly, I don’t use mine that often, but I really should. Because after doing the barest minimum of prep, I walked in around dinner time to this fall-apart tender, flavorful chicken. No hemming and hawing about what to serve or slaving over a hot stove on these steamy summer nights. If scrambling to get that nightly dinner on the table is something you struggle with, you need this recipe in your life!
I make this with a homemade bbq sauce that only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and can be made ahead, but that’s only because I don’t have a store bought brand that we all like. If you do, you can shave off even more time! Basically, all you do is toss boneless, skinless chicken breasts into the slow cooker, pour on some bbq sauce, set the timer for 6 hours and walk away. Not exactly heavy on the effort!!
It’s so ridiculously easy that you’ll almost feel guilty! And the possibilities for it are endless--serve it as is with a side of rice or pasta to sop up all those delicious juices, use it as the filling for tacos or nachos or pile it on a roll for the best, crowd-pleasing sliders. However you serve it, I promise that this easy pulled chicken will earn you rave reviews. Now put those feet up and let the slow cooker do all the work!!
FYI--I'll be traveling for hockey (what else?) and some college visits over the next few days, so will most likely not be posting while I'm away because it's a bit of an insane schedule, but I'll be back next week as we say goodbye to July and hello to August. Be safe and have fun!!
BBQ Pulled Chicken (Slow Cooker)
Makes at least 8 servings--more depending on how you're using it
Prep Time for BBQ sauce: 20 minutes (can be made 2 weeks ahead and stored in the fridge); Prep Time for Chicken: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 6 hours
For the BBQ sauce--this makes more than the 1 1/2 cups you need for the recipe--store the extra in an airtight container or mason jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or use an equal amount of your favorite store-bought brand.
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 shakes cayenne pepper
For the Chicken
- 6 boneless,skinless chicken breasts (if they're very thick, slice them lengthwise)
1. To make the BBQ sauce: Place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Mix together and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Let cook for about 10 minutes until the mixture has thickened. Then turn the heat to low and let simmer for another 5 minutes or so until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
2. Spray the bowl of your slow cooker with nonstick vegetable spray and place the chicken in it. Pour 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce over it and stir it around a bit to make sure all of the chicken is coated. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours. When ready, use two forks to shred the chicken and serve with the juices that accumulate in the bowl.
Note: Recipe adapted from Add A Pinch by Robyn Stone.